The trailer for the Scream reboot (Scream 5?) dropped today. The big 3, Courtney Cox, David Arquette, and Neve Campbell, are all reprising their roles. But the film will primarily feature a cast of young up-and-comers. Should the reboot (or sequel?) be successful, it’s likely this new cast will carry the franchise moving forward. With that said, here’s the trailer and a few of my thoughts:
- Will Stu (Matthew Lillard) or Randy (Jamie Kennedy) return? Okay, this premise seems far-fetched, but the film’s tagline is “It’s always someone you know.” It’s unlikely Randy will return. His death in Scream 2 was quite violent and done for emotional effect. If he does return, would he be the killer? I don’t see it happening. But what about Stu? Sid (Campbell) pushed a TV on his head. Maybe, just MAYBE, he could have survived that. Matthew Lillard has also been doing a TON of promo for the franchise lately, including conventions and heavy hype on Twitter this week.
- Could one of the big three be the killer? Again, I’m going back to the tagline….I don’t think it’s likely, but it’s not impossible. That would be quite the twist, eh? What if it’s Sid or Gale Weathers (Cox)?!
- Ghostface has mastered smart tech. Yep. He, or she, hacks apps and locks and unlocks doors. It’s a great update.
- Does Deputy Dewey (Arquette) take over Randy’s role? Randy was always the go-to film guy, the one who explained how to survive. In the trailer, Dewey explains the rules to the new group of teens. Perhaps he’s taking on Randy’s mantle? It would be a cool way to honor the first film and the character.
- Neve Campbell’s role will most likely be limited. It’s already been reported that Campbell only spent about two weeks filming. That’s not much time, but whatever her role, it’s sure to be important, even if she’s just a mentor to the new cast.
- Will one of the big three die? This is my biggest question, especially after watching the trailer. How do you outdo the iconic opening from the first film? Kill off Dewey, Gale, or Sid in the first 15-20 minutes. My money’s on Dewey. That could reunite Sid and Gale and really tug at the heartstrings, maybe as much as Randy’s death, if not more.
- Ghostface looks great! This trailer features Ghostface as much as it does Sid, and he, or she, looks damn cool! I especially like the shadow of Ghostface on the wall, with his (or her) arms outstretched. The kills also look quite gory, a sign of the times.
- The franchise is in good hands. Kevin Williamson is producing the new film, and Ready or Not directors Matt Bettinelli-Olpin and Tyler Gillett have taken over directing duties from the late, great Wes Craven. Ready or Not is one of the strongest horror offerings of the last few years, a prefect mix of blood and comedy, much like the first Scream. Campbell has mentioned she returned due to the heartfelt letter these two sent her. They care about the franchise, and that mattered enough to Campbell to return as Sidney Prescott.
So who’s excited for the Scream reboot/sequel?